বুধবার, ৫ অক্টোবর, ২০১৬

A Dark Night

On that day I went to college. I supposed to attend four classes. 

I attended the first class of Bangla literature. Young lady lecturer Lopa Banerjee took the class in her special way of full enjoyment. No doubt all the students enjoyed a lot and of course I too. 

We had fifteen minutes in our hand for next class.

I come out of the class room and walked all around the campus in search of someone. In fact, I had been searching her for last several days. Like other days I did not see her on that day.

Is she sick? Has she gone her home or...? These were the questions started coming in my mind. Probably this was the reason I felt apathy to attend the next classes. I decided to meet one of my close friends skipping all classes for the day.

But at the same time I took one more bold decision to write a letter with a number of words but focusing on a single point that I love her and miss her.

I knew her name Dola, Dola Islam from another friend Nurul Alom who also was studying in the same college. I met him and told my feelings and intentions. Luckily he agreed to convey my letter to her the next day. 

Afterwards I started my journey for Adamdighi. That was another place where my friend I wanted to meet stayed and studied in a non-government college. 

It was only one hour journey by train. We spent whole of the day talking, eating and roaming about here and there.

It was 7:30 pm when I returned by evening train.

I was cordially invited by Tutul Bhai beforehand to have dinner with him and stay at his mess house for the night.

Without going anywhere I went to his mess house, had dinner and wished to have a bed for sleep.

He took me to another room vacant in absence of its occupant.

I was not tired but excited to write letter to Dola.


I occupied a chair beside a table under a 100 watt electric bulb that was to generate enough light. I could have sat down and started writing at that very moment but had to move for my side bag where I kept pen and pad.

However, I took pen, pad returned to table and started writing:

Dear Dola,

I’m sure you’ll be surprised on receiving this letter in your hand as I’m quite unknown to you. But I can assure you that I’m a human being and a student of the same college you study.

I have been looking for you for last few days you’re away. Your long absence from the college has prompted me to write this letter and writing only to say …

Dark all around the room. Power cut.

I assumed it was power cut and waited for back. But Tutul Bhai came to me with a torch in hand and informed that there were some problems in wares or switch board. So, power wouldn’t back until problems were solved. I should go to bed and sleep.

I did so. Without going further with the letter I went to bed and slept.

The next morning I woke up a bit late and saw a few electricians trying to make corrections into the wrongs in wares or switch board.

Finally I got to know that there was a little problem in switch board.

From the happening I got one more idea that a bulb itself is not light. It has a source of power. It burns to give light when supplied with power from power house.

Even the light that makes day has its source the sun. The sun cannot supply its light when detached from or covered with clouds.

That’s all idea about light.

I’ve always ignored a notion that people are also light.

I was not so clear in what sense people are light though it was becoming clearer to me later. But examples of people becoming true light is very rare.

Among these rare examples Sonya Akter is one whom I saw the other day.

One of my journalist friends told me over phone that a felicitation program was going to be held where Sonya Akter would be honored. He also informed while I asked that she is an enlightened woman. Without asking any question I agreed to attend the program with him.

A local women welfare club organized the program at a village nearly 15 kilometer away from Bogra, a district town of Bangladesh

For the first time I went there only to have a glimpse of an enlightened women Sonya Akter.

She is not different but like many other fare looking, tall figured middle aged women.

Sometime later I came to know from her own speech that through a lot of struggles she passed only Matriculation. After passing Matriculation she started working with an NGO as its pretty worker. She had a good passion of reading. She read the life sketches of some giant women figures like Rokeya Begum, Mother Terisa, Taslima Nasrin etc., and inspired by reading their writings. In fact, she still reads, she always reads writings on literature, arts, science, chemistry, biology, religions or whatever it is. This is the source of her wisdom and knowledge. At a certain point of time she felt an urge to do something for impoverished destitute village girls.

She spent quite sometimes thinking about it. Finally she decided to teach and spend lion share of her salary for these girls to be educated.

Coming in touch of her the girls were so inspired that they have struggled a lot but never given up their hope and spirit to achieve the desirable goals.

Many of them are now professors, teachers, bankers, magistrates and lawyers. Like the stars of the sky these girls are now glittering in their own societies.

Having glimpse of them made me clear in a particular point that an enlightened person burns with the light of knowledge and wisdom and spreads the ray to make others enlightened.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন